POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : End of the world delayed until spring : Re: End of the world delayed until spring Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:22:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: End of the world delayed until spring
From: Phil Cook
Date: 29 Sep 2008 11:33:07
Message: <op.uh81hewkc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Fri, 26 Sep 2008 15:44:32 +0100, somebody <x### [at] ycom> did spake,
saying:

> If the goal is to support building of faster computers through demand,
> give each employee of LHC a copy of FarCry 2 and send them home. It
> would be much cheaper than $10 billion.

I agree, if the goal was to build faster computers; however that would
require someone with a ton of cash to say "Hey we need faster computers"
to which the response would be "Why?"

> He was working at CERN when he made the invention, but he could have
> very well
> have been working at IBM or Apple or Walmart or Starbucks
> (well, he'd have better access to networks
> at that time with the former two).
<snip>
> The important point is, CERN's high energy physics research did not give
> rise to Tim Berners-Lee's invention.

Most importantly a) The abilty at CERN to display pictures and text at the
same time would have been very useful, and b) No-one at CERN came in and
told him to stop working on it and get back to what he was supposed to be
doing. Somehow I don't see that happening at IBM, Apple, Walmart, or
Starbucks.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com